The Rochefort beer brewery was founded in 1230. The Notre Dame de Saint-Remy abbey experienced several phases of activity and it was not yet brewed there at that time.
It experienced several lootings, fires and partial destruction over the past centuries. Its location at a crossroads during the Middle Ages made it an easy target for brigands.
It was not until 1887 that the monks of the Abbey of Achel reinvested the premises, and installed the Cistercian order in Rochefort. Only since the beginning of the 20th century that beer and cheese are produced in Saint-Rémy. Although the first years were complicated from 1900 the production became important.
In 1952, the modernization of the brewery means that the activity of the community will be more concentrated around beer. In 1970, cheese production was abandoned.
The water used for brewing Rochefort beers comes from the Tridaine spring. This has recently been in danger. A quarry wishes to expand and this could damage the water table of the source. So far the local authorities have fortunately banned this project.