The oldest traces of activity on the site of the Huyghe brewery date from 1654, at the place called "de Appelhoek" (the apple corner in Dutch). In 1903, Léon Huyghe moved to Melle to work in the "Appelhoek" brewery.
It was not until 1939 that the brewery was renamed Huyghe, after the extension was built a little further. In this new building will also be installed the brewing room which is still there today.
After the Second World War, Huyghe released a very successful pilsner, the 'Golden Kenya'. She won several prizes and made the brewery famous. They will also create a brand of sodas.
In the 1970s, the brewery experienced difficult times, with industrialists gaining ground, especially thanks to a more elaborate distribution network. And in 1980, Jean de Laet, husband of the heiress Huyghe, relaunched the brewery for good. It divides the company into four which will be specialized; production, distribution, real estate and HoReCa.
And at the end of the 80s, the delirium tremens was born and expanded the range of the Huyghe brewery.