Originally called 'St. Sixtius’, the St. Bernardus brewery was born in 1946 at the request of Trappist monks to make Westvleteren.
A protected production contract is signed for a period of thirty years. Everything went well at first and in 1962, the monks decided to renew the contract while they finished their brewery within the abbey.
It was in 1992 when relations became strained. The Trappist monks recover their production but the master brewer refuses to dismantle his brewery. A legal war then ensued, ending with the fact that ‘St. Sixtius’ can continue to brew but no longer has the Trappist label and must also change the name of the brewery.
The two neighboring breweries no longer speak to each other but still live on the same street, and the St. Bernardus beers are in fact the authentic recipes of the Westvleteren.